Friday 25 March 2016

The Coramandel Peninsula

The hitch up the Coramandel was nice and easy. I was with Adam, a guy from my last hostel. We got 4 hitches. The most interesting being from a crazy lady who owns a herbal remedy business. She was telling us all these crazy stories about how she's been lost in the bush 5 times. We stopped and she showed us this massive gold mine, still in use today.
We eventually arrived at Whititanga which is the biggest town on the peninsula. The hostel was really nice and everyone in it was very friendly, although the hostel was quite empty due to it being the end of summer now! Adam and I caught the passenger ferry accross to go and have a look at Lonely Bay and Cooks beach. It was a lovely end to the day.


The next day I hitched to Hot Water Beach. There's a hot spring underneath the beach and at low tide, you can feel it coming up in patches. I hung out there until low tide, and it really does get hot! In some places too much to stand. I met up with James, a guy who I worked with. We'd been trying to arrange a place we could possibly meet up and it actually worked! He's been in Australia for 5 weeks and doesn't have much time in NZ so is on a Kiwi Experience bus. Which is actually was useful for me as James asked him if I could ride to Cathedral Cove with them and I did, for free! We had a look around the Cove and surrounding bays whoch were beautiful. Just a shame they're so popular! We were going to go snorkelling because there's some coral in Gemstone Bay however the wind was too strong so we thought better of it. Was still a nice walk.




No comments:

Post a Comment